Re: Accessing data from an MS access db from an Oracle UNIX server

From: Paul Dixon <root_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:56:29 +0000 (UTC)

"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message news:Wp5xb.173684$jy.73333_at_clgrps13...
> I agree thats the best solution overall Daniel, but in some cases (like
> mine) it may not be practical or even doable. Many of our areas purchase
> these little MSaccess back end "niche" programs that do only one thing
> and the vendor's eyes start to glaze over when you ask them if they have
> an Oracle or SQL server version. I can rant all I want about the lack of
> security, no restore to point of failure etc.. but in the end the
> business unit will purchase what fits their needs best and I have to
> deal with it.
> Fortunatly I only have one set of tables in MsAccess that I have to have
> accesible from an Oracle based app, but once it was set up it runs along
> quite nicely. I'd still sooner have the tables sitting in their own
> little Oracle schema, but if the product doesn't support it then I have
> to make do...

Glenn,

It may be worth looking at relocating the "data" to an Oracle database (to gain the security and backup benefits), but continue to use the MSAccess application as the client.

Oracle's Migration Workbench for MSAccess has wizards which _could_ make the migration quite a simple process.

Paul Dixon Received on Mon Dec 01 2003 - 04:56:29 CST