Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Frank <fbortel_at_nescape.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:35:23 +0100

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>

>> Daniel Morgan wrote:

>>> Surely you can'be believe forcing one middle-tier solution is cheaper
>>> than forcing one back-end solution. All you've done is shift the
>>> restraint.
>>>
>>> Put all logic in the database and you can connect from any middle
>>> tier and any front-end.
>>>
>>> Put the logic in the middle tier and you can't connect from any
>>> front-end that doesn't go through that specific middle tier or the
>>> entire solution dies painfully.
>>>
>>> To you that is better?
>>

>> Daniel,
>>
>> given the fact that:
>> - this is a web based solution
>> - SQL Server as well as Oracle backends *need* to be served
>>
>> Would you allow two development teams, or three?
>>
>> And how many middle tiers -other than supporting Java- can you
>> think of?

> Many. Just for starters I could write the entire thing in Oracle Forms
> and go against both databases. And I could add a laundry list of others
> too.
>
> You are, it seems, still making great efforts to miss the point. Put all
> you business logic into the middle-tier. Then someone connects to the
> back-end database with MS Access. You have zero control. You haven't a
> shred of data integrity. That person can do anything they wish and you
> have nothing. Well you have the appearance of business rules but nothing
> of substance. They have by-passed all of your control over data integrity.
>
> Surely you aren't going to tell me that you have some way to keep
> someone from connecting to SQL Server with another tool or Oracle with
> SQL*Plus.

Sure - pre-logon triggers ;-)

Forms on the Web runs via java applets - still java. Forms uses/requires 9IAS, which supports java.

I'm not responsible for the end users, or an organization allowing end users to connect uncontrolled directly to databases with toys like Access, or -even worse- Excel. I do however see some validity in the financial aspect of developing such applications; two developer teams will be cheaper than three.

Just playing the devil's advocate here, as I'm in the middle of exactly this discussion.
I don't like the idea either, so I'm desperately seeking counter arguments by trying to figure out what argument might be presented to me.

However, the financial aspect still is open...

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel