Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:33:30 -0800

Frank wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>> Frank wrote:

>>> I tell 'm I don't do that ;-)
>>> Seriously - the customer can have any middle tier as long as
>>> it's black - sorry, Java.
>>>
>>> The background of all this is simply a matter of
>>> development cost - it's cheaper (at least, thought to
>>> be!) to develop the logic in one flavour (Java), than in,
>>> say two or three (Oracle: PL/SQL, SQL Server: TSQL, DB2/MySQL/...)
>>

>> Surely you can'be believe forcing one middle-tier solution is cheaper
>> than forcing one back-end solution. All you've done is shift the
>> restraint.
>>
>> Put all logic in the database and you can connect from any middle tier
>> and any front-end.
>>
>> Put the logic in the middle tier and you can't connect from any
>> front-end that doesn't go through that specific middle tier or the
>> entire solution dies painfully.
>>
>> To you that is better?

> Daniel,
>
> given the fact that:
> - this is a web based solution
> - SQL Server as well as Oracle backends *need* to be served
>
> Would you allow two development teams, or three?
>
> And how many middle tiers -other than supporting Java- can you
> think of?

Many. Just for starters I could write the entire thing in Oracle Forms and go against both databases. And I could add a laundry list of others too.

You are, it seems, still making great efforts to miss the point. Put all you business logic into the middle-tier. Then someone connects to the back-end database with MS Access. You have zero control. You haven't a shred of data integrity. That person can do anything they wish and you have nothing. Well you have the appearance of business rules but nothing of substance. They have by-passed all of your control over data integrity.

Surely you aren't going to tell me that you have some way to keep someone from connecting to SQL Server with another tool or Oracle with SQL*Plus.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu