Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:56:31 +0100

"Frank" <fbortel_at_nescape.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bq7a4f$itk$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...
> Volker Hetzer wrote:

> >>I tell 'm I don't do that ;-)
> >>Seriously - the customer can have any middle tier as long as
> >>it's black - sorry, Java.
> >>
> >>The background of all this is simply a matter of
> >>development cost - it's cheaper (at least, thought to
> >>be!) to develop the logic in one flavour (Java), than in,
> >>say two or three (Oracle: PL/SQL, SQL Server: TSQL, DB2/MySQL/...)
> >
> > But look, who prevents the developer from using java stored procedures
> > in the db if he wants to use java? That's no reason to do an app server!
> >
> > Greetings!
> > Volker
> SQL Server has Java in the db? Since when.
It doesn't? Well, it's microsoft after all... One more reason not to have anything to do with it.

> And Orace seems to have plans to remove it from the db.
Just had a short look, didn't see anything about it. Where did you get it from?

Back to topic, so your sole motivation is to use some server to get around portability problems? In that case you've got two solutions:
- Mysql. Get it for your platform and you're done. Fast,

   reliable, supports replication, etc.
- I'm not sure but I think, for portability problems there ought

   to exist much slimmer solutions than a full blown appserver.

Greetings!
Volker Received on Fri Nov 28 2003 - 05:56:31 CST