Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:09:08 -0800

Frank wrote:

> Volker Hetzer wrote:
>

>> "Frank" <fbortel_at_nescape.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>>> What if you have customers that wish your product to run
>>> on a variaty of backends?
>>> Makes sense to put (1 version!) of the business rules in
>>> the middle tier to me. Use the database just as a pool of data;
>>> no logic
>>

>> What if they wish to use a variety of middle tiers?
>>
>> Greetings!
>> Volker

> I tell 'm I don't do that ;-)
> Seriously - the customer can have any middle tier as long as
> it's black - sorry, Java.
>
> The background of all this is simply a matter of
> development cost - it's cheaper (at least, thought to
> be!) to develop the logic in one flavour (Java), than in,
> say two or three (Oracle: PL/SQL, SQL Server: TSQL, DB2/MySQL/...)

Surely you can'be believe forcing one middle-tier solution is cheaper than forcing one back-end solution. All you've done is shift the restraint.

Put all logic in the database and you can connect from any middle tier and any front-end.

Put the logic in the middle tier and you can't connect from any front-end that doesn't go through that specific middle tier or the entire solution dies painfully.

To you that is better?

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu