Re: Accessing data from an MS access db from an Oracle UNIX server

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 10:56:51 -0800

Andrea M. Segovia wrote:

> My enquiry was not meant to start a religious war....

You didn't. The answer was fact based and written to solve the problem you presented: Nothing more.

> As an aside, I doubt that your reply will encourage others new to
> Oracle to post questions to the group for fear of being lambasted.

Anyone that isn't trembling in trepidation at the sight of their own shadow knows that I lambasted your management ... not MS Access and not you. If that scares them then perhaps they should retreat to 3x5 cards.

You comments about the "cost" of going to Oracle are based on what? I could move data from an Access database to Oracle at the rate of one database every day or two without a single dollar going to Oracle corporation for more software. Perhaps you should talk to your SysAdmins and DBAs about the concept of licensing by CPU.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu