Re: Accessing data from an MS access db from an Oracle UNIX server

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:43:45 -0800

Glen A Stromquist wrote:

> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>> Andrea M. Segovia wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am a newbie to Oracle databases....
>>>
>>> We have a visualization front-end tool connected to an Oracle back-end
>>> database on a Tru64 UNIX server. We also have clients with MS access
>>> databases who would like to share their data using this visualization
>>> tool but do not want to import their data into the Oracle server
>>> back-end.
>>>
>>> Is there any way we could use the Oracle backend to query the MS
>>> Access databases and merge this data with other data in the Oracle
>>> back-end for presentation  by the visualization tool? Perhaps through
>>> ODBC or some other standard?
>>>
>>> The Oracle back-end is a a Tru64 UNIX server running Oracle 8i.
>>> Any input would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Andrea Segovia
>>> A/Project Manager
>>

>> Your management needs to stop playing games with those that have the
>> MS Access databases and put all of the data into Oracle.
>>
>> If you didn't have Oracle ... fine so you use MS Access. But once you
>> have Oracle there is no excuse for business data sitting on PCs where
>> there is no security, no guarantee of data integrity, and almost
>> undoubtedly no nightly backup.
>>
>> All that money for Oracle and they are letting a some whiners make the
>> business decisions. Management ... needs to manage.
>>
>> Move the d... data.

> I agree thats the best solution overall Daniel, but in some cases (like
> mine) it may not be practical or even doable. Many of our areas purchase
> these little MSaccess back end "niche" programs that do only one thing
> and the vendor's eyes start to glaze over when you ask them if they have
> an Oracle or SQL server version. I can rant all I want about the lack of
> security, no restore to point of failure etc.. but in the end the
> business unit will purchase what fits their needs best and I have to
> deal with it.
> Fortunatly I only have one set of tables in MsAccess that I have to have
> accesible from an Oracle based app, but once it was set up it runs along
> quite nicely. I'd still sooner have the tables sitting in their own
> little Oracle schema, but if the product doesn't support it then I have
> to make do...

The vendors may not be able to do Oracle. Thats understandable. But there is nothing that stops these systems from being backed up every night to the Oracle database and then using the Oracle database as per your original inquiry.

And I'd give you the same advice if the back-end was SQL Server or Informix or any other industrial strength RDBMS. MS Access on a personal PC just isn't a serious database for business applications.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu