init.ora file

From: hiroko <bentenkids_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 26 Nov 2003 03:48:52 -0800

Hi, I am studying Oracle Database Administration.

When I was setting automatic archivelog mode, I noticed I had trouble setting up init.ora file.

I am using Oracle9 on Win2k.

I modified init.ora file by adding;

log_archive_start=true
log_archive_dest=%Oracle%\admin\%SID%\arch
log_archive_format=archorc_%s.log.

Then, I shutdown, startup mount, alter database archivelog, alter database open.
When I run alter system switch logfile for 3 times (I have 3 Redolog files), SQLPLUS hang.
When I checked the book I had (OCP text book), it says this occurs when init.ora is not modified but alter database archivelog is run.

So init.ora that was located on %Oracle%\admin\%SID%\spfile\ is not affecting database.

Init.ora file for this database has a numeric extension like init.ora.10020039830 and so Window Explorer displayed file type as 10020039830.file (it wasn't read as Ora file.) I am not sure if this is the reason.
Why this init.ora file has numeric extension? How can I make this file to be effective?

Any helps or advices to solve this is appreciated.

hiroko Received on Wed Nov 26 2003 - 05:48:52 CST