Re: Solaris9/Oracle9i interupt problem with E4500

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_bad_address.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:55:59 GMT

hfv wrote:

> Hardware-
> 8 processor E4500, 4gig memory
> A1000 disk array using raid 0+1 (although it different connfiguation
> doesn't solve the problem)
>
> Symptom
> Inserting a million rows, (sh.sales) into a new database the e4500
> takes about 2 minutes. Different configuration of raid, SGA and so
> forth don't have a significant impact on the insert speed.
>
> Note: the same insert on a PC running windows takes less than 20
> seconds.
>
> vmstat reports (in one second intervals)
> in = 1300-1599 (Interupts - normally this runs around 100-150)
> sy =1000 - 7500 (System calls)
> cs = 500 -1400 (Context switches)
>
> All of the above variables are roughly positively correlated (if in
> goes up so does sy and cs
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what is going on here?
>
> Thanks
> hvf

I'd start looking at the raw interaction with the file system first, then look for the obvious things like SGA size and swapping/paging.

You describe a 'new database'. Has it been configured or just 'built'?

What (whose) file system? Using FastIO or QuickIO?

etc. Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 17:55:59 CST