Re: Find a location given approximate latitude and longitude near the location

From: Dimitri Rotow <dar_at_manifold.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:45:17 -0800

> I have a gps-related Oracle problem that I can use some help with.
>
> Here is the scenario that I am trying address in Oracle 8.1.7.4:
>
> I have the following tables with latitude and longitude stored in
decimal
> degrees:
>
> 1. Bus stops along with their exact latitude and longitude.
> 2. Bus riders along with the approximate latitude and longitude of
where
> they boarded a bus. I cannot assume that I will have the exact
> coordinates, only a reasonably close approximation.
>
> Can anyone help me with a solution that, given the latitude and longitude
> where a rider boarded, will return the bus stop where they boarded? The
> coordinates where the rider boarded will be guaranteed to be within a
specified
> distance of the bus stop latitude and longitude.
>
> This problem is outside the day-to-day programming issues that I normally
deal
> with and I am woefully deficient in the math department. I'm totally at a
loss
> as to where to begin, so specific calculations, formulas, sql and/or
PL/SQL code
> will earn you my vote for a spot in heaven. :) In any case, ANY help or
advice
> on how to proceed is much appreciated.

There are lots of nuances, such as finding the nearest neighbor of various candidates that may fall within the allowed epsilon. My advice is that it would be a lot faster to simply buy a tool that does all this for you. If you are doing this on a one-time basis, consider Manifold. At $245 it will do all this for you and allow you to use elementary spatial SQL. See http://www.manifold.net

Cheers,

Dimitri Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 11:45:17 CST