Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:27:20 -0000

"mcstock" <mcstockspamplug_at_spamdamenquery.com> wrote in message news:8JydnZRsb8Lq816iRVn-jg_at_comcast.com...

> "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
>
> | > Advantages to J2EE:
> | > Portable
> | What is the advantage of this for the *client* customer. How often do
they
> | change architectures?
> | > Object-oriented
> | > Vendor independent
> | So what.
> |

> if you're developing a commercial product, these are major concerns
>
> if i'm selling to MS shops and Oracle shops, i've got to have an
> architecture that supports both databases -- either two code sets, or a
> middle tier -- but then, how many middle tier options do i support? but
you
> get the idea.

I do understand this argument, but think it likely to produce applications that perform equally poorly on all architectures :( Actually I also don't see people taking this as far as you stated above. Clearly if you want to sell to ms shops you will need to support .net as well as j2ee. App developers seem strangely relucrtant to do this, for some reason the independence argument only applies to the database and/or the operating system.

> polytheism is still practiced in the database world -- despite reports to
> the contrary, neither larry nor bill have yet achieved status of sole
> universal sovereign ;-)

Absolutely. That is why I'd go for the 2 code sets approach (or an sql generator, but these tend to be problematic).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA