Re: Creating a table

From: tojo <Tojo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:47:48 +0100

In article <bpvt1k$v3m$1_at_s1.read.news.oleane.net>, lfinet_baron_at_hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to create a simple table through this script :
>
> create table MC_ETUDES (
> "refer" NUMBER(6) not null,
> "libelle" VARCHAR2(128) not null,
> constraint PK_MC_ETUDES primary key ("refer")
> )
>
> I use Toad and see my table "properly" created.
> I lunch a SELECT * FROM MC_ETUDES and the colums are ok (refer and libelle).
> But when I try SELECT refer FROM MC_ETUDES, i receive the message "invalid
> column"... (whatever the column I ask).
> Besides, in Toad, when I ask for the script to create my table MC_ETUDES, I
> get the error "Invalid Variant Operation".
>
> What can I do ? (I'm new with Oracle...).
> Thanks,
> Laurent.

The problem is you created your table with quotes around the column names. That means you'll have to write SELECT "refer" FROM blah. This is how Oracle handles case-sensitivity. If you want case-insensitive (the default), create the table without the quotes. Then you can write SELECT ReFeR FROM mc_ETUDES if you want.