Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:38:51 +0100

"Peter Connolly" <peter_at_alum.wpi.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:39fde041.0311250644.332d9a04_at_posting.google.com...
> For example, would you want to
> give an Oracle login to every business partner of your company's so
> that they can re-use your business logic?
Yes. I'd simply trust the database because there are a lot more installations and those guys have a lot more experience with privilege management than appserver developers. If I had wildly different privileges per user I'd even prefer the database password handling to the OS password handling.

You know, somewhere you HAVE to handle the passwords and assign privileges to the users. And as with business logic, the logic that decides who does what is IMHO best placed near the data.

Btw, here we have an appserver application right now. You know what it does? It manages the password and privileges itself  and puts the required data in -- the database!! In unencrypted tables! And it requires an account that can do anything in the schema. So,\ anyone querying data outside the appserver has to know the master password. And people *want* to do this because the appserver has no API. It would have been MUCH better for the users to implement the appserver as a set of views and PL/SQL procedures. Would have been way faster too.

Greetings!
Volker Received on Tue Nov 25 2003 - 09:38:51 CST