Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:52:07 -0000

"Peter Connolly" <peter_at_alum.wpi.edu> wrote in message news:39fde041.0311211053.7887c44a_at_posting.google.com...
> In addition to portability, another reason for specifying no stored
> procedures could be to ensure that there is no business logic in the
> database procs. In an n-tiered system, all business logic should be
> on the application server, not in the GUI or the database.

I really, really don't understand this. Perhaps you could elaborate?

> >1. NO DATA LOADS EVER. Key it through the app ALWAYS. even 10 million
> > rows.
>
> I don't think data loads should have to be "keyed" through the app.
> If all data loads were required to use the application code (i.e.
> passing data to an EJB) to insert data that could be a very good
> thing, if it is feasable.

Is it feasible? Ever? You acquire a new company and need to load their sales ledger. Is it at all plausible to load this by passing it to an EJB? You start a new financial year in your accounting company and decide to open new projects for all of your clients (say 50,000)? etc etc.

Even if it is feasible how long does a dataload of 2million 500 byte records take when passing it to EJB? what about sqlloader?

> All data would be scrubbed and validated
> the same way. I've seen too many databases that have
> dirty/inconsistent data due to heterogenous data sources (i.e. five
> different ways to calculate taxes and split pennies). Performance is
> always second place to correctness.

So these databases where did they calculate the tax and split the pennies? Pound to a penny it was in some app.

> >2. NO INTERFACES TO OTHER SYSTEMS, EVER. make other systems talk to
> the
> > app.
>
> This could be a good thing too, for the same reason data loads should
> be done through the application. Why should a company pay for
> developers to implement the same logic multiple times?

Why should they pay to write interfaces for every new or upgraded system they buy?

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA