Re: Question and suggestion regarding rownum

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2003 10:42:19 -0800

"mcstock" <mcstockspamplug_at_spamdamenquery.com> wrote in message news:<296dnYAYW5YarCGi4p2dnA_at_comcast.com>...
> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message

> | Maybe you can use an autonomous transaction: get the first few pages
> | quickly, while in the background the full set is being generated.
> |

> autonomous transactions simply allow a sub-transaction to be committed
> without affecting the main transaction (which waits for the autonomous
> transaction to complete) -- it sounds like you're looking for a way to spawn
> a separate query process; but the issues remain the same -- the rowset needs
> to be identified once and records need to be fetched only as needed (not
> fetched and thrown away as the user pages forward and backward)

Well, yeah, I'm just suggesting if identifying the the set once takes too long, maybe you want to do it twice: a quick subset for quick display, and the full set to fetch as needed. Haven't you ever wished a web page would do that rather than wait until some stupid slow ad server feeds the obnoxious blinking ad before giving you the requested info?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.12/mafia.html?tw=wn_tophead_6