Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:08:08 -0000

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x_at_y.z> wrote in message news:q9lqrv4rdlcughil17flbbu2ln162bbu7r_at_4ax.com...
> I'm on the periphery of a rather large (to me, at least: $10 mil..)
project in
> which the tech folks flatly say "NO STORED PROCEDURES: NONE, NOT EVER!".
>
> There's got to be a reason, but I don't know enough to even guess at it.
>
> Somebody?

I'd ask. If the answer is all the logic etc belongs in the application explain that there will be 2 corollaries

  1. NO DATA LOADS EVER. Key it through the app ALWAYS. even 10 million rows.
  2. NO INTERFACES TO OTHER SYSTEMS, EVER. make other systems talk to the app.

They both follow logically from this 'design' rule.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA