Re: "We don't do triggers"

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:23:23 +0000

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 23:59:09 +0000, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> I'm on the periphery of a rather large (to me, at least: $10 mil..) project in
> which the tech folks flatly say "NO STORED PROCEDURES: NONE, NOT EVER!".
>
> There's got to be a reason, but I don't know enough to even guess at it.
>
> Somebody?

You could be dealing with a company that I used to work for. The development manager in one office (not mine !) had a rule that there was to be "no triggers and no referential integrity in the database".

He didn't like 'automatic' things happening in the database. I gave him a demo of why putting RI into the application was a bad idea. Took me 15 seconds to trash the system properly by inserting one row into onw table.

He wasn't very happy, but told me not to tell anyone :o)

The app also has CREATE_ANY_PROCEDURE and EXECUTE_ANY_PROCEDURE granted to all and sundry - go figure !

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.