Re: 30 character limit / workarounds?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 02:37:07 GMT

FlameDance wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am generating SQL and PL/SQL code from data. If I use the table and
> identifier names that a "naive" approach suggests then I often run into
> the 30 character limit for names and identifiers.

A code generator?

> 1. Is there any way to extend them beyond this limit?
> 2. If not (which I suspect), I'm looking for ideas for lossless and
> reversable
> compression of PL/SQL-identifiers into PL/SQL-identifiers.

If this is a code generator, then your environment could have an extra 'cross-ref' table, or at least column, that provides the appropriate translation.

Even Oracle's design tool has the 'documentation' form and the short 'implemntation' form of table/entity names.

You are stuck with the 30 character limit.

As an aside and based on my experience: if you are generating objects as well you will likely end up accidently generating an object name using a reserved keyword. I strongly advise NOT using the double-quotes around the object name in your 'CREATE object-type object_name' statements - better to stop production to fix this than to let a reserved word spoil your fun later.

HTH
/Hans Received on Sun Nov 16 2003 - 20:37:07 CST