Re: Orcale and XML

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:36:31 GMT

Bart Torbert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My company is looking for tools to help us output the data we have
> stored in Oracle into XML. We are looking at the internal Oracle
> tools, but were wondering if third party packages were available to do
> this.

Oracle has a reputation of being very close to the front of the XML spec, even leading and influencing the spec. They also have a reputation of having some of the fastest parsers around.

Best of all, their XML interaction is totally without additional license fee & interim updates are placed on Oracle's Technet, freely available. Check out the samples on [http://otn.oracle.com >> Sample Code] are excellent.

Not quite sure what you are looking for or why you want to look elsewhere. The only alternative I'd consider in the C or Java worlds is Apache.org's Xerces (which started life as IBM's parser). For that, check out http://xml.apache.org (I assume you are not looking for wild variants like a Python-based XML parser.)

Also note that JDeveloper is XML-aware. Makes relevant coding a breeze. A great, albeit somewhat dated, book is Muench's book at http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/ and that even discussed install JDeveloper as well as step by step detailed XML app development.

Also, with Oracle's PSP (PL/SQL Server Pages) interacting with XML, XML parsers (in eith PL/SQL or Java) or directly with XMLtype, as well as Oracle's support for DTD & Schema, AND Oracle's built in AQ and Workflow (IIRC, also included with DB licenses), interaction becomes universal and relatively easy to code.

HTH
/Hans Received on Sun Nov 16 2003 - 18:36:31 CST