Re: 30 character limit / workarounds?

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 00:21:12 GMT

"FlameDance" <flamedance_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:bp8uum$ig6$01$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am generating SQL and PL/SQL code from data. If I use the table and
> identifier names that a "naive" approach suggests then I often run into
> the 30 character limit for names and identifiers.
>
> 1. Is there any way to extend them beyond this limit?
> 2. If not (which I suspect), I'm looking for ideas for lossless and
> reversable
> compression of PL/SQL-identifiers into PL/SQL-identifiers.
>
> Thoughts about other solutions:
> As my names typically have a "depth" of 2 (i.e.
> "<name1><delimiter><name2>" I'm wondering about workarounds:
>
> a) create user <name1>; create table <name2>; grant all on
> <name1>.<name2> to ...
> b) create package <name1>, create package-local table <name2> (if there
> is such a thing)
>
> Solution a) has some appeal to me (would make some things easier) but it
> requires the ability to create users and assign grants - which normal
> users don't have. I could generate an sql-script that does it for me and
> invoke it with sysdba privileges - but that would make the system
> vulnerable to attacks, wouldn't it?
>
> Yours,
> Stephan

You would find lot of us asking the question: Why would you want to name an object using more than 30 characters. Unless you plan to kill your users by making them type that long name again and again :)

.. and both your workarounds are bad. Rethink your strategy, be creative, make object names small. The users will thank you for it.

Anurag Received on Sun Nov 16 2003 - 18:21:12 CST