Re: OCCI create environment

From: Mirco Schmedicke <77488823-34488572_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:26:48 +0100

Hi.

> So if I'm trying to access a database on another machine what all would i
> need to include for connect string?

that is a good question. I had the same problems (some days ago). I wasn't able to find a connectionstring, that included all needet data. The only way I found to fix this, was to install oralceclient and do a configuration with the "net configuration assistant". If you do so, you can configure a configuration which will be stored in "tnsnames.ora". Then you have to run an "oraclelistener" as a service, which will resolve the connection name from the tnsnames.ora...:-(((
After that your occi connectionstring will be the name of the connection you wrote in the "net configuration assistant". Attention!: I don't know anything about oracle and occi! This is just what i tried out. I am absolute shure that there must be an easier way! But I didn't found it, so I changed to ODBC (see below...).

>Thanks. Also I'm assuming to run a
> program using OCCI that you need to have the Oracle client installed on
that
> machine too. Is there any other options for Oracle access using C++?

After my occi-desaster I just installed the oralce-odbc-driver, created a new project in VC++, added a class "extends" CRecordset (CMyODBC::CMyODBC(CDatabase* pdb): CRecordset(pdb)) and the connection worked fine.
..
But I am at the beginning - just one day in advance to you:-) I will see if this way is easyer than occi....

have a nice day,
Mirco Received on Fri Nov 14 2003 - 11:26:48 CST