real time c/s form data synchronization

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_hargray.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 18:21:03 -0500

Forms 6i c/s against 9i v2
Our users have a schedule screen that allows them to view/allocate resources to events during a 24-hour period. Many people will be working on the data for the same period. The "gotcha" is that they must be able to see when a new event is added as soon as it happens. I.e. if I am working on provisioning an event and a new event is added I must have it show up without any explicit action on my part.
Approaches considered
Re-query every 5 seconds
Load the original data in a record group to provide read consistency; if a new row is added to the tables for the same time period create a record in a monitor table; have the form poll the table every 5 seconds and if a new record is found with a timestamp later than the forms last data refresh then refresh the forms data.
Since there can be 20-60 instances of the form running at once I believe these two solutions would result in my dba s whacking me with a clue by four.
We are also going to see if we can use dbms_pipe to let the form know a refresh is needed but I don't know (yet) if that works with forms. Can anyone offer suggestions about how to approach this? Thanks,
Chris Received on Thu Nov 13 2003 - 17:21:03 CST