Re: Locking Multiple records

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:32:27 -0800

Runa wrote:

>Thanks for all the replies...actually the tran i am talking about is
>something which loads records from one DB to another. So I need to
>select bulk records at a time. So I thot I would use 'select for
>update'. We need to check each record, copy it to the other DB &
>finally update the process_flag in the original record, so that I
>don't select it again. But now I think, the selecting & locking will
>have to be done seperately.

After reading this I am a bit concerned with whether you understand Oracle's architecture.
What do you think you are accomplishing by locking a record if all you are doing is
copying it?

Do you think someone could modify the record while it is being copied? Do you think someone could block the copying if you don't lock it? What is the problem you are trying to solve?

Because I see no reason to lock anything based on what you've posted so far.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu