Re: Improve this querry!?

From: Mark Schubert <Mark.Schubert_at_MyRealBox.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2003 18:25:30 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1068483998.189348_at_yasure>...

>>>Running Explain Plan is essential. The fact that indexes exist does
not
>>>mean that indexes are used.
>>>Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and print out the documentation for
>>>running Explain Plan. Basically
>>>you will need to run the utlxplan.sql script in
$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin
>>>to build the plan
>>>table and then use the explain plan syntax to create the plan.
Printing
>>>it out can be done with any
>>>number of scripts available all over the web. Contact me off-line
if you
>>>can't find a copy.
>>>
>>>You may not understand everything about the output ... but you will
be
>>>able to tell immediately
>>>whether the indexes are being used.
>>>

>>Again, I'd be happy to run the Explain Plan if it will somehow lead
>>a solution. I can't help thinking it will just bring further
questions
>>and more actions.
>>
>Re-read the first sentence above.

I've read it many times and fully understand your sentence. You imply that running Explain Plan will tell if the indexes are used or not - and I'm sure it will. You don't seem to understand that I don't really care if the indexes are used or not. I am only interested in the most efficient query. If it uses indexes, fine. If not, that's fine too.

The original query was tested both with and without indexes and I found it to run MUCH faster with them - that's the reason I have them there in the first place.If we need to change the query and remove the indexes to make it more efficient, fine with me.

>If others have helped you I am glad. Because obviously I can't.

You can't help because your focus is now far from the problem.

>BTW: If you had sent your email from a non-US address I'd have known
you
>are not a native
>English speaker. If you had said anything to that affect I'd have
known.

Huh? How on Earth did you think I was "not a native English speaker"? Is this a JOKE? Are you telling me that my English was THAT BAD??? I'm 40 years old, a proud member of the Air Force and born and raised here in the good ole USA. I do speak fluent German as well. Sorry to further disappoint you.

Geesh!

>You expect people to not
>only do your work for you, but to guess your native language. Guess
I'm
>just too dense to do either

You said it... Not me. However, I couldn't agree more. Good thing I didn't have to rely on you for any help!

Mark. Received on Tue Nov 11 2003 - 20:25:30 CST