Re: Learning Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2003 10:24:47 -0800

Antonio Cangiano [visualcsharp.it] wrote:

>Dear friends,
>I'm a .NET Developer with good skills on IT in general (development,
>operating systems, alghoritms and applicate math, etc...etc...).
>I'd like to learn Oracle in a professional way, initially by a development
>prospective and after by administration view. I've two books on my desktop:
>
>Oracle Expert One on one:
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1590592433/002-5240430-4881602?v=glance
>and Oracle PL/SQL Programming 3rd edition:
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596003811/002-5240430-4881602?v=glance
>
>Could you please give me some suggests for learning from these two books?
>Should I read "Oracle PL/SQL" before and after "Oracle Expert One on One"?
>Which is the best study path in your opinion?
>
>Do you have some general advice for my learning?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Antonio

Good books and a good attitude. I'd begin by going to http://tahiti.oracle.com and looking up the Concept and Architecture documents. What is critical to success with Oracle is understanding
the way the beast works ... not just the pedestrian view of columns and rows on steroids.

I'd suggest looking for a college or university in your area to see if they have a program that is
truly academic rather than just an OCP cram course. It could be very valuable if it is anything like
what we teach out here.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu