Update-Problem with Oracle 8.05

From: Christoph Hilmes <hilmes_at_uni-muenster.de>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:50:56 +0100

Hi,

we have a visual basic application attempting to update a table in an Oracle-Database. This is done with the following sql-statement:

UPDATE table SET table.field = 0 WHERE table.pk=1

The field in the where-clause of the statement is the primary-key of that table. There are now constaints, no trigger, it is a "stand-alone"-table. This ends in an endless loop and i have to stop and restart my application.

The funny thing is, that when i use a different field in the where-clause, that is no primary key, then it works. And also when i use the above statement and send it dirctly to the database via the SQL-worksheet of the server i get no error. The error occurs only when sending this statement from within my application.

So here are the details of that application and the database-connection.

Visual Basic 6.0, Service Pack 5
ADO 2.8
OleDB
Oracle 8.05

Is anybody out there, who knows, what this is all about?

If you have any hint for me, than please mail, or forward your answer to the following adress: holger.gerdes_at_gebit-ms.de (because i will have no further access to this newsgroup for the next couple of days).

Thanks a lot
Christoph Received on Sat Nov 08 2003 - 06:50:56 CST