Re: capture oracle pwd change in 3rd party application. help needed

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2003 14:55:54 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1068147990.413220_at_yasure>...
> Lasher wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have clients using an application that allows users to change their
> >passwords. The application uses the 'ALTER USER xxx IDENTIFIED
> >BY.....' command. What I need to do is use Oracle to capture the
> >username and password and send the info to another Oracle instance on
> >a different server and update that users password.
> >
> >Basically I need to keep the user's password in sync between two
> >different databases.
> >
> >I also cannot change the application in anyway and therefore need to
> >do this from the Oracle side.
> >
> >Any ideas would be great.........
> >

> Go to $ORACLE_HOME/rdmbs/admin
> Look at the file utlpwdmg.sql
>
> If you have any business doing this you will be able to fill in the rest
> of the picture.
>
> Personally I agree with Pete. This is nonsense and worse than nonsense a
> huge violation
> of any reasonable definition of system security. The OEM should fix the
> problem. And
> my advise to you would be not to do this. That it can be done doesn't
> mean that it should
> be done. The entire idea stinks.

I'm not sure what is so wrong about this, at least using Pete's suggestion of Identified by Values in a non-public environment? It seems as reasonable as, say, copying /etc/passwd (or shadow equivalents) and user files to synchronize users on two identical servers.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20031106-9999_2m6wage.html