Re: What's this SQL doing?

From: mcstock <mcstockspamplug_at_spamdamenquery.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:03:24 -0500

what about 'warranty void if seal broken'?

vendors have to take responsibility for the product as shipped and have some sort of configuration management and validation -- if not, something big is missing in the design. i've seen too many products go out with no clue as to what is in it and what should be in it. i've also seen a lot of apps that have taken the shotgun approach to index creation -- but i can't see that as a justification for not documenting and verifying what components a correct product installation consists of

configuration management should not be beyond the control of a vendor, and customers need to be accountable for unauthorized modifications (ever try to get help from Oracle support after dropping a SYS index?)

> > ouch! if at all possible, get control over the production indexes --
> > document what indexes are required and what they should be named in
order
> > for your product to perform properly, then supply a configuration
validation
> > option. i can't see any justification for a required index to not exist
in
> > production, anymore than a customer or dba could justify dropping or
> > renaming constraints, tables, views, etc.
>
> The justification could be whether the customer chooses to use a
> particular set of tables or reports, and how. There are some things
> that are just plain beyond the control of a vendor, and it is usually
> a mistake for the vendor to try to account for every possibility. The
> more generalized the product, the more true this becomes. With
> indices especially, there is usually going to be some trade-off
> between insert performance and lookup performance. Add some
> denormalization into the mix...
>
> And with some of the dumbass indices I've seen, as a customer I would
> want both choice and information. Think on this (from a real system):
>
> 1 select count(*) from user_ind_columns
> 2 group by table_name, index_name
> 3* having count(*) > 10
> SQL> /
> 11
> 11
> 13
> 11
> 14
> 12
> 12
> 13
> 13
> 16
> 12
> 22
> 15
> 15
> 12
> 12
>
> 16 rows selected.
>

> > -- mcs
> > "Thomas Kellerer" <spam_eater_at_gmx.net> wrote in message
> > > Yes and no :-) We don't always have control over the index names that
get
> > > installed into the production environment, but we do have control over
the
> > > columns used....

> > the

Oracle