Re: Chubb Institute for Training

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:30:39 -0800

mark davis wrote:

>It's hard to believe that 5 schools in this area including a community
>college would bring in students into it's DBA program and just take
>their money. It would seem on the face of it to invite a class action
>lawsuit.

Look up the legal phrase: "Caveat emptor". ;-)

>If you are reading this Mr Morgan would you be so kind as to advised
>me on what developers book using forms I could read and on pl/sql
>none of the schools here offer courses as indepth as yours :) secondly
> should I be reading the online documentation at Tahiti? If so which
>ones. thanks in advance

On Forms I would say that there isn't one book out there worth the paper it is printed on. There
are several that contain good information. Among them:

Oracle Forms Developer's Handbook by Lulushi Oracle Developer Starter Kit by Muller
the Oracle Press books on Developer.

But once you have read the books cover-to-cover you will still not be able to use the index or
table-of-contents to look anything up. You still won't understand how to leverage Forms properly
with visual attributes and property classes and templates. And you still won't be able to build a
form based on stored procedures. And ... And ... And ... And ...

For PL/SQL I would recommend any book with Tom Kyte as an author though I'd be careful if
just starting out not to get "Expert one-on-one Oracle" at first because it really expects a senior
understanding of many things to be truly useful.

I'd also try to find a book I think may be out of print titled "Oracle 8 How To" by Waite Group Press."

The O'Reilly books are good but tend to favor those that come to them with a background in Unix. And
I'd be very caution with anything oriented toward OCP exams as most of them contain too much
incorrect information.

>In this world it so easy to be negative,if what you say is true Ryan
>then it is a SAD world we live in. However, I belive there are
>companies out there who will train you at an entry level position just
>gotta find 'em
>
>Mark Davis

One must strive to be "realistic" ... not over-flowing with optimism ... not drowning in the depths
of despair and negativity. One thing is for sure ... no one succeeds that doesn't try. Best wishes.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu