Re: Help with Oracle9i: SQL

From: Taylor Wilkes <tpw2021_at_aol.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2003 06:41:46 -0800

ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com (Ed prochak) wrote in message news:<4b5394b2.0311051439.59d46555_at_posting.google.com>...
> tpw2021_at_aol.com (Taylor Wilkes) wrote in message news:<b15b7649.0311050901.4a0b805d_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Here is the question:
> > Management is proposing to increase the price of each book. The amount
> > of the increase will be based on each book's category, according to
> > the following scale:computer books, 10%; fitness books, 15%; self-help
> > books, 25%; all other categories, 3%. Create a list that displays each
> > book's title, category, current retail price, and revised retail
> > price. The prices should be displayed with two decimal places. The
> > column headings for the output should be as follows: Title, Category,
> > Current Price, Revised Price.
> >
> > Table being used: BOOKS
> >
> > ISBN NOT NULL VARCHAR2(10)
> > TITLE VARCHAR2(30)
> > PUBDATE DATE
> > PUBID NUMBER(2)
> > COST NUMBER(5,2)
> > RETAIL NUMBER(5,2)
> > CATEGORY VARCHAR2(12)
> >
> > I believe that I am supposed to be using the DECODE keyword. I have
> > other info if needed.
> > Can anyone help??? Thanks
>
> This is written so much like a homework assignment, it is scary.
>
> Taylor, what have you tried? Put some sample SQL that you wrote. (We
> try not to give answers to students, just to hint to them.) Can you
> create the report up to the new price part?
>
> Please show us some effort. (That may sound mean, but we have jobs to
> do too.)
>
> Enjoy,
> Ed

This is what i have done. I am pretty sure that you have to use the decode keyword.
I have tried a number of different things so that is I am asking for help.
The most recent statement I have used is : SELECT title, category, retail 'Current Price',

DECODE(retail, 'COMPUTER', .10,
               'FITNESS', .15,
               'SELF HELP, .25)'REVISED RETAIL'
FROM books;

This is not working. I still have to figure out how to get the rest of the books to add 3%. I can't get the revised retail feild to calculate. That is why I am asking for help. I have been working on it for weeks and can't get it right. My proffessor won't help. I am stuck!!! Thanks, Taylor Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 08:41:46 CST