Re: Problem Connecting w Perl/DBD::Oracle as SYSDBA

From: J R Longwill <longwill_at_psmfc.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 14:12:12 -0800

I am now happy to report that this problem has been solved!..

When trying out the suggestion to trace the program w/ the DBI trace utility there was no obvious reason for the failure other than that Oracle itself was returning an "undef" value to the perl variable in the case of database BB, whereas it had a hash pointer (to some legit connection address) in the case of the properly-working AA instance.

So, looking to the Oracle system again, I noted the suggestion from 'ezra' about looking to the REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORD oracle variable and re-creating the orapw file.

Indeed, we did have the var:

    remote_login_passwordfile='EXCLUSIVE' set correctly in both init.ora files for the instances, and we had an " orapwaa" and "orapwbb" file for the instances. I went ahead and re-created the "orapwbb" instance file and this *did* resolve the problem. Now.. a sysdba connection can be made on instance bb both from within the perl program, and interactively (whereas before it only worked interactively). Something must have been "wrong" with the old orapwbb file.

So, many thanks to all; and particularly "ezra" for this assistance!

--Jim :^)