Re: Chubb Institute for Training

From: mark davis <customer_at_asgardfinancial.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 21:54:05 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1067885687.540557_at_yasure>...
> Ryan Gaffuri wrote:
>
> >customer_at_asgardfinancial.com (mark davis) wrote in message news:<e0366c3c.0311011823.219b47a2_at_posting.google.com>...

> >>that was excellent. Last term I took the first course in the oracle
> >>series-Oracle 9i Sql. This course was intense 5 people were in the
> >>class 2 people passed.I gave up a lot of weekends to pass that course
> >>with an A.The course involved a lot of hands on execises using the
> >>books from Oracle University. I also had to do a case study which
> >>involved taking a business problem and mapping it to an ERD then
> >>creating the tables with the proper constraints and populating the
> >>tables. I then had to write several sequel quries to make sure I had
> >>created the table properly.The next thing was to produce a report from
> >>SQL*Plus that had to mimic the print out requirements..I was taught by
> >>an OCP9i professional who is in the business.
> >>
> >>I am taking Fundemental I and Fundementals II and Tuning. This
> >>material is not easy and is being taught to us by a Oracle Certified
> >>Master.My understanding is that there are not that many Masters in the
> >>country. To sum this up Chubb is a good school to go to for Oracle
> >>training,they don't hold your hand. You have to work at it. I have a
> >>degree in CIS(learn much more at chubb technology wise),limited
> >>technical experience and hoping this will help. So far Chubb has not
> >>disappointed me. It hard for me to believe that some other school
> >>would be better. We use Oracle University books and and a lot of
> >>hands-on in class. The class is small (4 people) and very personable.
> >>

> >another thing to point out. Its hard to believe how cheap your courses
> >are. $650 for 10 weeks? Most private companies charge $2000-3000 for
> >lousy entry level courses. Oracle charges $500/day(and their stuff is
> >not always that good).
> >
> >find someone to teach it out in northern virginia and Ill take it.
> >Dont think you will get any takers. The schools out here charge
> >several times that for their entry level stuff.
> >

> Only place I might be able to swing it would be at UVA in
> Charlottesville. I get in there several
> times a year. Is that close enough?
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)
>

> --

Number One I never quoted the cost of the program

As far as what Ryan is saying you seem to think Chubb is 'stealing' my money.They didnt sure, I realize when I first went to the campus and interviewd I was given a 'sales pitch' all schools including Universities give a sales pitch. I took the materials given to me and check 4 other schools including major university. They all offer the same courses. I also asked each and everyone of them about experience level bfore taking the Oracle courses,they all stated take the courses and become certified. They all stated it would be difficult in todays economy to find entry level dba work but it could and has been done. I selected Chubb because of location and scheduling.Tonite I spoke with the instructor who is an OCM about what you stated. He advise me to continue with forms and get training on Unix. However, he strongly advised me to get certified.

Oracle states this on their website- The Oracle Certification Program begins with the Associate level. At this apprentice skill level, Oracle Associates have a foundation knowledge that will allow them to act as a junior team member working with database administrators or application developers. It sems to me that You dont have to have a lot of experience at this level or is ORACLE just not telling the truth.

It's hard to believe that 5 schools in this area including a community college would bring in students into it's DBA program and just take their money. It would seem on the face of it to invite a class action lawsuit.There are entry
level opportunities out there it may be more difficult now to find them but they do exist. It takes more then posting your resume 0nline or with recruiters it takes work(phone
calls,networking,followup,persistence).

These are the things that will get me the opportunity. I wish you would stop slamming Chubb since you never attended a class,I have been to a 4 year school set in an auditorium of 200 students and those professors never gave a damn about me. At least at Chubb with a class size of 4 students they have answered evry question I have asked and challenged me to do my best.

If you are reading this Mr Morgan would you be so kind as to advised me on what developers book using forms I could read and on pl/sql none of the schools here offer courses as indepth as yours :) secondly  should I be reading the online documentation at Tahiti? If so which ones. thanks in advance

In this world it so easy to be negative,if what you say is true Ryan then it is a SAD world we live in. However, I belive there are companies out there who will train you at an entry level position just gotta find 'em

Mark Davis Received on Mon Nov 03 2003 - 23:54:05 CST