Re: grant execute hanging!?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:03:06 -0600

On Monday 03 November 2003 12:32, Greg G thoughtfully contributed:

>> I can't help you with why the grant is hanging without more information,

>     What information can I give you to help diagnose this?  I'm working
> with Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 (yeah, I know, I know) if that helps any.

Start the GRANT command in one SQL*Plus window. In another, query V$SESSION to get the SID for the session executing the GRANT command. Then query V$SESSION_WAIT (multiple times) and query V$SESSION_EVENT to see what this session is waiting on to complete.

>  > but

>> one way to see what users have already been granted the execute privilege
>> on DBMS_PIPE is to run this query:
>>
>> select * from dba_tab_privs
>> where owner = 'SYS' and table_name = 'DBMS_PIPE'
>
> That returns me 6 reasonable-looking rows.

But did it return the row for the user you are trying to grant to?

>> Since DBMS_PIPE is a package, only the EXECUTE privilege applies to it,
>> and
>> these are all listed in DBMS_TAB_PRIVS. Of course, several GUI tools,
>> such as the Oracle Enterprise Manager, will run the query for you and
>> show you these permissions as well.

>     Where in the OEM can I find that?  I didn't see anything in the
> pre-defined charts for that.

Look under Security.

HTH,
Brian Received on Mon Nov 03 2003 - 18:03:06 CST