Re: How to Swap Two Tables?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 12:56:56 -0800

rekaben_at_yahoo.com (RK) wrote in message news:<239f1935.0311030738.31526684_at_posting.google.com>...
> Now please help me with another trouble. I have two Oracle schema on
> two different severs (of course I know the account/passwd on both of
> them). How can I view the remote one's tables or do query on them from
> one of the servers?
>
> Simply as follows, I tried from schema1 server terminal:
>
> =====
> SQL> desc schema2.table1
>
> Name Type ...
> -----------------------
>
> SQL> select * from schema2.table1;
>
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
>
> SQL>
> =====
>
> Why the query doesn't work for me while I can desc the table? I know
> this should be simple, just have no time to review Oracle books -- I
> don't even have one in hand.

Did the owner of schema2 grant you or your link the ability to select from his table?

If you have access to the net, you can get docs in hand, whether through ftp or http://docs.oracle.com .

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/privs.htm#15362 http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/c16sqlpl.htm#494

Saying you don't have time to read the documentation is flamebait. You might try asking your paid support, although support people often don't like being substitutes for training.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/mon/business/news_mz1b3spam.html