Re: Chubb Institute for Training

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 09:17:43 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<3FA3F188.2010404_at_x.washington.edu>...
> Chris Boyle wrote:
>
> >"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

> >>My students are all industry professionals. Minimum requirement to get
> >>into the class is
> >>a CS degree and three-five year experience with SQL and/or PL/SQL. Some
> >>

> >have
> >

> >>backgrounds in DB2, Informix, Sybase, and SQL Server: Very few make it
> >>in with MS
> >>Access. The rest have been working with Oracle.
> >>
> >>About 2/3 of my students are already employed and are motivated by one
> >>of three things (A)
> >>a thirst for more knowledge, (B) trying to advance, (C) trying to
> >>survive a threatened cutback.
> >>
> >>The remaining 1/3 are unemployed and looking for the knowledge to get
> >>them a decent resume,
> >>an interview, and a job. I used to have on problem arranging internships
> >>but that has gotten far
> >>more difficult in the last two years. For those that have found jobs
> >>about 10-15% end up at
> >>Microsoft (MS loves Oracle people), some have ended up at Boeing, at
> >>AT&T Wireless, and
> >>a variety of other local firms and most have doubled their pre-education
> >>income level (no jokes
> >>about the fact that it was zero please). I have one that was hired at
> >>Nike in Portland, then took
> >>on a contract in Dallas and just moved to another in St. Louis.
> >>
> >>But the main thing I see is that some employers are now sending their
> >>employees to the program
> >>and preferentially hiring graduates. It is the employer's response that
> >>is the most important feedback.
> >>It means that they can see the difference.
> >>
> >>Specific dollars I don't know and wouldn't provide if I did. But I do
> >>know that they are pulling down
> >>positions normally awarded to people with senior skills and getting
> >>comensurate pay.
> >>
> >>For those that want a sense of the curriculum here are the topics
> >>covered for the last two weeks in
> >>the advanced program:
> >>
> >>Class 3:
> >>Coalesce
> >>Unistr
> >>SYS.ANYDATA
> >>User Defined Types
> >>Nested Tables
> >>Constructors
> >>Collections
> >>Objects
> >>Varrays
> >>PL/SQL tables
> >>
> >>Class 4:
> >>Object Views
> >>Type Methods
> >>Object Table Primary Keys
> >>The PLUSTRACE Role
> >>The GROUP_ID() function
> >>SQL Tuning with AUTOTRACE
> >>The APPEND hint
> >>DBMS_REDEFINITION Built-in Function
> >>
> >>And if that seems rather ambitious to you ... you should meet my students.
> >>They are really that good. And we bounce around intentionally to keep the
> >>energy level high.

> [...]

your class isnt remotely related to what that guy is looking for. your essentially offering graduate level work to experienced professionals. I see nothing wrong with that. Its the entry level course work that is a complete scam. Alot of universities offer the same garbage that the training companies. Even ones that have ranked computer science departments. They just want the cash. Received on Mon Nov 03 2003 - 11:17:43 CST