Re: How to Swap Two Tables?

From: RK <rekaben_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Nov 2003 07:38:58 -0800

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0310311413.62e5ee5e_at_posting.google.com>...
> rekaben_at_yahoo.com (RK) wrote in message ...
>
> Have you/your DBA gone through proper tuning procedures? If so, you
> may indeed be better off using OS tools. If not, you need to adjust
> your administration procedures. I haven't seen anything in this
> thread that leads me to believe minus shouldn't work reasonably well,
> especially if you are able to dump the entire two tables to the OS in
> a short period. Perhaps you should post an explain plan and let us
> know exactly what "too big" means.
>
> Just remember, anything you do outside of Oracle will have a
> disproportionate maintenance cost, so it better be justified. I do
> things like this all the time, because I take on problems others have
> given up on, but I actively discourage it as SOP.
>
> jg

Although I am not good at Oracle stuffs, I believe what you said is correct -- I should try an Oracle way to resolve Oracle problems. However it should be a miracle that I could probably find that "busy" DBA. Therefore I have to try out my OS tools, and it works.

Now please help me with another trouble. I have two Oracle schema on two different severs (of course I know the account/passwd on both of them). How can I view the remote one's tables or do query on them from one of the servers?

Simply as follows, I tried from schema1 server terminal:

SQL> desc schema2.table1

Name Type ...

SQL> select * from schema2.table1;

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

SQL>

Why the query doesn't work for me while I can desc the table? I know this should be simple, just have no time to review Oracle books -- I don't even have one in hand.

Thanks.

RK Received on Mon Nov 03 2003 - 09:38:58 CST