Re: Oracle pipe not closing

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 03:06:19 GMT

"Greg G" <ggershSNACK_at_CAKEctc.net> wrote in message news:tM2dndP4VtNIGDyiRVn-sA_at_ctc.net...

> I've got a perl program which is opening a pipe (well, it's really just
> doing a get_message('pipename')), but if it dies unexpectedly, the pipe
> isn't closed. I can still see the session in session list. The really
> fun part is that if I run this program several times, it will open
> several sessions, even though the pipe has the same name!
>
> Is there any way to have oracle clean up these sessions? They don't die
> on their own.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Greg G

kill -9, or alter system kill session .... to clean up.

I don't understand why you are amazed that the program will open several sessions, even though the pipe has the same name? You don't state what exactly you are doing .. i.e. are you creating a public or a private pipe and what calls you are making to create pipe and get messages.

If you try creating the same named pipe in another session (and logged in as the same user account), then Oracle will return a success result. So in case you are expecting the create_pipe call to fail in another session just because that pipename already exists, .... it doesn't.

Anurag Received on Thu Oct 30 2003 - 21:06:19 CST