Re: Chubb Institute for Training

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:29:00 -0800

Robert C wrote:

>>>If you want a real education that will make you more employeable ...
>>>find a program at a major university.
>>>

>Well...Dan, you really mean it - "major university" ?
>How about say a community college ?

I mean major university and here's why. Almost all of the community college programs are
OCP classes. They teach just enough to get someone an OCP certificate and little more.
Often the "training" is a lot of PowerPoint slides purchased from Oracle Corp. and quite
often, though not always, the instructors don't have that great a depth of knowledge of
Oracle. They know what they are teaching but don't necessarily have a decade of real-world
developer and DBA work under their belt.

One of the worst things about OCP prep classes is that all training as artificial. All SQL
statements work. All data is clean. All exception handling academic. All tuning artificial.
Students don't get the opportunity to make real mistakes and have real learning take place.

This is not to say that there aren't exceptions. Just as there may be some major university
programs not worth the price of admission. But as a generality ... the university programs
are substantially more valuable: I know mine is and it isn't just ego. Local employers tell me so.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu