Re: Distributed Vs. Centralized Database Approach

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2003 14:08:38 -0800

coldfusion1998_at_yahoo.com (coldfusion) wrote in message news:<c6bc3b02.0310291126.78c48f64_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> I am trying to make a reccomendation for our database arch. We are
> currently debating on using a centralized database on one machine
> possibly having multiple instances or to use a distributed model have
> multiple servers and instances.
>
> Background:
> the application is a global application with a couple of hundred
> users. In the past couple of months the database grew to about 70,000
> records. Going forward as we add more modules to the application we
> want to try and figure out a strategy so that we can scale, and
> minimize performace problems down the road.
> Any opinions or ideas?
> Thanks

Don't crosspost between cdo.server and cdo.misc.

70,000 records with a few hundred users isn't all that much for a risc unix box single instance. Depending on what you are doing, of course.  Distributive processing adds a layer of complexity. Networking costs can be significant. Uptime targets can be expensive. While Oracle doesn't scale down well, it is easy to scale up, so start simple. What does the application do? If you are using 9iAS you pretty much have to distribute.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/fires/031027fire_blog.html