Re: Upgrade from 7.x to 9i release 2

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:56:32 GMT

> You will need to search for Novell information before starting your upgrade.
> If memory serves, you had to be at 7.3.4 in Novell before you could do an
> upgrade, but you should check that. Unless you're already at 7.3.4.
> If you can't get the old docs on this you might have to check with Oracle
> support. Take the approach that you're a 9i2 customer who needs help
> getting this old data into your new 9i database.

You won't be able to get 9i running on Novell. The Novell platform was desupported long before 9i was available. IIRC, 8i isn't even available on Novell, but I am fuzzy on that....

The OP mentioned moving to RedHat. So he'll have to install 9i on the RedHat platform. Since the OP will be changing platforms, only two methods will really work. Either export/import or copy the data over through a db link. Since 9i has difficulties talking to Oracle 7 databases, that pretty much leaves export/import as the only real method. I suppose one could dump the data to a comma delimited file and use SQL*Loader, but that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. You do not need to be at 7.3.4 to use the export/import method of upgrading. The only reason to be at 7.3.4 would be if you were upgrading the database on the same server to 9i by using the mig utility (maybe through the DBUA). But since you can't run 9i on Novell, the 7.3.4 requirement is not necessary.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com