Re: Basic install problem with Oracle 9i on windows XP - Addendum

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 06:35:58 -0800

Billy Verreynne wrote:

>Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote
>

>> Win2K is better than XP Pro.
>>

>Huh? I thought I'm the one to make wild sweeping statements around
>here? Care to back that up Daniel? :-)
>
>Seriously though, I'm still using both Win2000 Pro (office) and WinXP
>Pro (home) and prefer the latter from a stability perspective. Both
>has Oracle 9.2 Enterprise installed (including Delphi7 and an
>assortment of SDKs and web servers).
>
>What problems have you experienced with WinXP (besides the lane and
>quirky new GUI)?
>
>--
>Billy

Nope. Not a chance. From my experience with students those that try to install Oracle have
a far higher success rate with W2K than those with XP. If the O/S isn't going into a production
environment I am always going to suggest the one that will be most successful in the hands of
someone that isn't an SA.

The other advantage of W2K is that more of it is exposed to the person trying to learn Oracle
so there is less liklihood of having a problem that can't be fixed. Some implementations of
XP Pro, for example if the person buys their computer from Dell, make it nearly impossible for
the average person to get to some administrative functionality without having to ask for help.

In my playbook XP still stands for eXtra Problems.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)