Re: Basic install problem with Oracle 9i on windows XP - Addendum

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:35:46 -0800

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> hshah_mse_at_yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install oracle 91 for my SQL and a oracle class from
>> http://otn.oracle.com/software/products/oracle9i/htdocs/winsoft.html
>>
>> After downloading disk1, 2 and 3, I try to install and nothing happens.
>> Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?
>>
>> -H
>>

> You are missing the following:
>
> 1. What hardware, operating system, and how much RAM
> 2. What version and edition of 9i (and it is an "i" not a one (1). For
> example 9.2.0.4 Enterprise Edition
> 3. What you did to try to start the installer.
>
> For all we know you have an incompatible version of Linux with 64MB RAM.

My mistake using the Linux example. Rather it should have been the question of XP Home
vs XP Professional. Oracle does not support installations on XP Home.

And while some have gotten it to work that is not guaranteed and should not be done
unless you also are the type of person that thinks nothing of spitting into the wind.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu