member function that prints type_name

From: David <auto90059_at_hushmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 01:12:35 +1100

Apologies for the double post.

I want to add a member function to an object type that among other things, prints out its own type name from the user_types table.

This bit of code (found in theOracle9i Application Developer's Guide - Object-Relational Features) returns the type name of each customer instance in the table Customer_objtab:

SELECT c.CustName, u.TYPE_NAME
  FROM Customer_objtab c, USER_TYPES u
  WHERE SYS_TYPEID(VALUE(c)) = u.TYPEID;

I've tried something similar in my member function (it compiles), but I get an ORA-01747: invalid user.table.column, table.column, or column specification error when I call it.

Any ideas?