Re: IPv6 support

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 23 Oct 2003 17:04:47 -0700

rgaffuri_at_cox.net (Ryan Gaffuri) wrote in message news:<1efdad5b.0310230320.2a9ba4cf_at_posting.google.com>...
> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1066861044.738989_at_yasure>...
> > Joe Yong wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >Does anyone know if Oracle is currently supporting or ill support
> > >IPv6? Couldn't find anything on this subject on any of the usual sites
> > >(oracle.com, otn, metalink, etc...).
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> > >

> > What is IPv6? That might help in getting you an answer.
>
> 128 bit internet naming instead of the standard 32 bit naming we have
> today. Basically the 111.111... gets alot more numbers. so you have
> alot more domains available. Apparently we are running out of domains.

Yeah, those all those networked refrigerators and microwaves :-)

> US department of defense is in the process of converting.
>
> now sure why you would have to make any changes to an oracle
> implementation for IPv6? It should be handleed at the OS and network
> layers?

The protocol adapters that talk to the network layer would have to support it, as well as apache. There are postings from O support on metalink indicating net8 does not support it now but they are looking into it in the future. Apache 2.0 is require to support it for 9iAS, and that isn't supported yet.

From the Oracle internet directory application developers guide:

"Note: A suitable representation for including a literal IPv6[10] address in the hostname parameter is desired, but has not yet been determined or implemented in practice."

So there's probably stuff all over the place that would have to be hacked... like replacing your engine in the middle of the freeway...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/sat/currents/news_1c18clifford.html