Re: ORA-03113 when attempting to connect to Oracle 9i instance

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 21 Oct 2003 03:41:26 -0700

rrana_google_at_hotmail.com (Rana) wrote i

> I have a very simple instance of Oracle (v9.2.0.1.0) installed on my
> laptop.

<snipped>
> During the course of debugging this problem, I've noticed the
> following:
>
> While disconnected from our internal network:
> - I can install Oracle w/o problems
> - I can connect to my SID w/o problems using SQL*Plus
>
> However, while connected to the network, I can do neither of the
> above.

Go to your ORACLE_HOME/network/admin directory and edit the TNSNAMES.ORA and LISTENER.ORA files. (or use that clunky Network Admin tool)

Change the hostname (or ip address) in these files to IP address 127.0.0.1 (after making backup of these files of course).

This will result in Oracle on your notebook only working via the loopback device (i.e. localhost).

As localhost is a default IP address that is created by the IP stack, it will be there irrespective of what network (if any) you connect your notebook to.

Disclaimer 1. No one else will be able to connect to your Oracle instance. If that is a requirement, then please shout.

Disclaimer 2. If you have MTS configured, you may need to change your spfile config if you used the hostname to congifure the dispatchers. In dedicated mode, this will not be a problem.

--
Billy