Query Performance: Using DECODE() instead of IN()

From: Paul Tomlinson <rubberducky703_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:39:28 +0100

Guys, a question,

Which is the more effecient way of running a query:

select * from x where decode(y,'Y',1,'Q',1,0) = 1

or

select * from x where y in ('Y','Q')

I think I recall somewhere that using a decode uses an index scan where using IN() uses a full table scan, however I can't seem to prove this.

Trying to search for in and decode in google is not fun. Any ideas?

PT Received on Mon Oct 20 2003 - 09:39:28 CDT