Re: imp fails after upgrade

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:11:21 GMT

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:3F886A0B.5891FA34_at_yahoo.net...
> Randy Harris wrote:
> >
> > I manage an application that uses an Oracle DB. That DB resides on a
host
> > running 8.1.7.3 on HP-UX 11.00. Since I don't have access to that
system
> > and I am not confident that it is being backed up reliably, I have been
> > doing a nightly export from another system, run from a cron (my local
Oracle
> > server). That has been working fine for some time.
> >
> > Yesterday I upgraded my local server to 8.1.7.4. Now I can longer do a
full
> > export. I get this error
> >
> > . exporting sequence numbers
> > EXP-00008: ORACLE error 904 encountered
> > ORA-00904: invalid column name
> > EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> >
> > It seems to work OK until it begins exporting the sequence numbers. I
was
> > able to confirm that a "exp full=yes" can be done successfully on the
> > 8.1.7.3 system. What is the cause of this and what, if anything, can I
do
> > to correct it?
>
> Do ya thunk it's possible that a 8.1.7.4 export executable might not be
> compatible with a 8.1.7.3 export dictionary? What's metalink/support
> say? (or perhaps the upgrade docco that comes with the upgraded s/w?)

I'm beginning to think this is likely. So far, however, I've been unable to fiind anything in the documentation to suggest one way or the other.

> One possibility - install a baseline 8.1.7.3 (no need to install a
> database -just the s/w) in a separate Oracle Home on your local
> machine. Use that instead of the new s/w to continue your exports.
>
> A second possibility - shake some trees to ensure the backups on the HP
> are done properly so you don't end up being responsible for things you
> really can't control. (What happens when 'they' upgrade the HP-UX?)

I'm sure you've heard sad stories before. This system used to host our SAP server. We got merged with another company, SAP got moved from our headquarters to theirs. Both our DBAs left. The system is now "managed" by systems people with little Oracle knowledge.

> A third - there's a reason for upgrading to 8.1.7.4 .... have the DB on
> the HP-UX machine upgraded.

I understand why this is important. I've already submitted a request to have that done. (or let me do it).

> A fourth - get all the databases moved up to 9i
>
> A fifth - investigate RMAN for backup.

At your suggestion, I've begun learning about RMAN. I suspect a visit to the bookstore is in order.

> (etc., etc., etc.)
> --
> /Hans
> [mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]

Thanks for your input. Received on Sat Oct 11 2003 - 20:11:21 CDT