Re: imp fails after upgrade

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:58:33 GMT

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1065905524.665115_at_yasure...
> Randy Harris wrote:
>
> >I manage an application that uses an Oracle DB. That DB resides on a
host
> >running 8.1.7.3 on HP-UX 11.00. Since I don't have access to that system
> >and I am not confident that it is being backed up reliably, I have been
> >doing a nightly export from another system, run from a cron (my local
Oracle
> >server). That has been working fine for some time.
> >
> >Yesterday I upgraded my local server to 8.1.7.4. Now I can longer do a
full
> >export. I get this error
> >
> >. exporting sequence numbers
> >EXP-00008: ORACLE error 904 encountered
> >ORA-00904: invalid column name
> >EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
> >
> >It seems to work OK until it begins exporting the sequence numbers. I
was
> >able to confirm that a "exp full=yes" can be done successfully on the
> >8.1.7.3 system. What is the cause of this and what, if anything, can I
do
> >to correct it?
> >

> First:
>
> SELECT object_name
> FROM dba_objects
> WHERE status = 'INVALID';
>
> I expect you'll find some. Then check the log file from the upgrade.
> Then repeat the upgrade.

Oh boy, did I ever. 48 objects with status = 'INVALID' (all owned by SYS). I don't think that can be a good thing. There was no upgrade of the database, it was originally created with 8.1.7.3 and still is. When I encountered the problem was attempting to do an export from a client running 8.1.7.4. It might be a matter of the 8.1.7.4 export utility simply not being compatible with the 8.1.7.3 database (as suggested by Mr. Forbrich). So far, I can't find any documentation indicating one way or the other.

I've already submitted a request to have the server and the database upgraded to 8.1.7.4. Aside from that, can you suggest what steps I should take to address this problem?