Re: Oracle Applications - can I get it? :-(

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:56:32 GMT

Piotr Czapiewski wrote:

> Hello everybody
>
> I'm a software-engineering student and I'm supposed to get familiar with
> Oracle Financials (Oracle Activity-Based Management especially). I'm a bit
> confused after searching through Oracle web site. Is it possible to get it
> for free for educational purposes? If so, what exactly should I download to
> get it working? I'll really apprieciate any help.
>
> Regards
>
> Piotr Czapiewski

Oracle's applications are tighly linked to specific versions of their technology. You can NOT simply download the technology (database, app server and tools) and set that up as a base for the apps.

As compared to SAP and others, Oracle's apps use Oracle's technology to the fullest possible extent (for example: a lot of PL/SQL & Java in the database, workflow in the database, etc.) This allows Oracle generally to have a tighter hardware footprint for equivalent functionality than others.

Unless something has changed very recently, Oracle does not provide trial licenses for their apps and therefore you can not even order the CD set from http://oraclestore.oracle.com under a trial agreement.

(Besides, downloading the software from OTN is not for educational purposes but for prototype development purposes - read the license agreement!)

Thus, the only way to get the s/w you need is by contacting Oracle directly.

--
/Hans
[mailto:`echo $from" | sed "s/yahoo/telusplanet/g"`]