Re: standard database programming language

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 10 Oct 2003 05:11:11 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote i

> >Do I accuse Oracle of point one? Yes. Of course.
> >
> Take out the loaded word "accuse" and I would think you'd get universal
> agreement.

Okay, so I'm accusing them of standard/good business practises. ;-)

> You want to hold Bill Gates personally responsible for the fact
> that consumers are dolts. It doesn't wash.

Yes and no.

Yes, you're right that the consumer at the end of the day vote with the credit card. And you're more than right saying that consumers, especially the software ones, are dolts. Just look at the issue of software ownership versus software leasing and so on.

However, my cynisism stems from the questionable business practises by people like Mr Gates - or on a more personal level where I have witnessed first hand in a pre-sales role where the salesman will tell the customer the biggest bs in order to get the sale.

> If the consumers were to make
> a comparison of dot net to Java and refuse to buy the dot junk Microsoft
> would dance to a different tune.

Not consumer. But management who think they are capable of making technical and architecture decisions.

> But what truly is happening is that Bill says "jump" and they ask "how
> high?" And there are a lot of people running
> Linux out here right now that will agree with me. One does not need to
> be a victim of the marketing wars.

Agree.

--
Billy